Sunday, July 30, 2006

Long Run

It has been so hot and humid recently. The heat can reduce me to a crawl on a five mile run so I decided to get up early for my Sunday long run to beat the heat. Unfortunately I was up late till 12 last night on the phone but managed to get up at 4:00, an hour before my run. I need to get up that much before I run to give my body some time to wake up before I hit the road. I left at five o'clock and ran 15.2 finishing in 2:23. I can tell that I am getting stronger. The pace at which I can run relaxed is much faster than it used to be. My splits were: (thanks to Garmin)

1- 12:40
2 - 10:51 the first two miles are uphill
3 - 9:37
4 - 9:26
5 - 9:01
6 - 9:12
7 - 9:32
8 - 9:14
9 - 8:56
10 - 8:52
11 - 8:36
12 - 10:20
13 - 8:37
14 - 8:47
15 - 8:10
Total 2:23

Average pace 9:27

For me this is a big improvement. I am trying not to push this workout too much, just run it relaxed. So getting up early worked. I beat the heat and was finished before it really started to get hot so I consider it a major success.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to te Washington Post this week, one of the leading causes of back injuries is running within 45 minutes of awaking.

8:53 PM  
Blogger zatopek said...

That is not surprising. On Sundays I get up at 4 so my body will have time to wake up for the run at 5.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home